Monday, June 9, 2008

House hunting

Unfortunately I don't have pictures to share with you of our latest family car trip but I will try to share a bit of our lives in words. Sunday afternoons are pretty much the day that we set out all geared up to go house hunting...for a drive...is what we tell the kids. We pop in a great movie they all agree on and head out. This worked for the first few times but now when the words "for a drive" are uttered there is mass chaos and revolting and we all end up in the car whether we want to or not frustrated and complaining. This Sunday was no exception. We are on a time crunch to find a house and really feeling the pressure. We drive around all the time hoping new things will pop up...alas they haven't. We have taken so many car trips lately that Lauren has formed motion sickness. She has a certain cry and a look that I have now gotten to know quite well when she is ready to... shall I say...SPEW. That look hit us again yesterday and I told Troy to pull over too late. The back seat was a mess. Oh well...we did our best to clean her up and the car with the three diaper wipes left in the diaper bag (why is it you run out of diaper wipes when you really, really need them the most?). We were far enough away from home that I thought we might be able to still look a bit more, even after all that. But then I hear Lucy's thunder roar. She decided to blow out of her outfit. Sadly, all the wipes were gone and I new she would have to sit in it for a while. Well my spirits were dampened right about then and my hopes to see any new homes up for sale had pretty much faded. Then I hear from the back seat in the van a panicked cry. The kind of cry that you hear when your kids know they did something really bad and they are scared. Cole apparently stuck play dough up both of his nostrils and got it stuck. Really stuck. (I promise you play dough is not a standard car item...it somehow made its way into the car without my permission) I sat there staring at Troy is amazement. I then did the only thing I could do. I started laughing uncontrollably. Cole was crying thinking he would never smell again and I was close to tears. Troy was disgusted and Kimball was dry heaving as all the smells were wafting to the back corner of the car.
We ended our fun drive and headed home only to be completely discouraged and sure we may never find a home to live in. House hunting...oh the joys!

13 comments:

The Farnsworth Family said...

Jamie although I am laughing at all the misfortunes I am sad for you too. I know you guys will find a fabulous house in a perfect area. We are in the same boat. We are just floating until our wind catches sail somewhere (with hopefully some divine intervention) and we will find a fabulous place too! Wish I was there to let the kids play (or spew) while you searched! Love you...

La said...

I think a good sense of humor is the most valuable trait a mother can have. I hope you all had nice nap when you got home. And I hope you find a home soon. It can be so discouraging. When we were house shopping three years ago we found lots of houses but we kept getting out bid. I finally started knocking on doors in my neighborhood until I found someone who wanted to sell. Good luck!!!

Kaylyn said...

Oh wow, your family seriously cracks me up. That is completely hilarious. I wish I was there to witness the whole thing but this blog posting was great too! I love you all and Jam, you are the best for being able to laugh!

Megan said...

he he he...The image of this in my mind might actually be funnier than the situation itself. Sorry you guys have to look for a house. So miserable!! There's a lot of houses for sale in Pleasant Grove. :)

Katie said...

It's good to blog the funny stories, because I'm sure Sunday night while you cleaned the van and cleaned clothes, it probably wasn't very funny! However, to those of us reading it, it was hilarious! Good luck on the searching--are you trying to buy without a realtor?

Scott and Andrea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scott and Andrea said...

Seriously, that is one of the funniest posts I have seen in a while. Classic Peterson Story! Tell Coley we know of some pleasant scents he will surely be able to smell when he comes to Loa in August. (After all, I do work with Horses!).
Heart of a Champion Lil' Brudder! Heart of a Champion!
Maybe you should buy a Winnebago?!? I hear they have some with built in diaper changing tables and stuff now?!

Catherine said...

Oh I can SOOO relate - as can my kids. McKay is our motion sick child and it is sad to say that we haven't had the playdough experience, but we've had it with gum. Not good. Will we ever get settled and end the crazy Sunday car rides? I too get car sick and so I can feel for Lauren. Thanks for the good laugh.

The Yosts said...

I am laughing so hard at your description! Good luck with the house hunting!

Justin said...

WOW! That is all I have to say. WOW!

The Stars at Night...Deep in the Heart of Texas said...

Wow, seriously sounds very fun...Take me to a happy place.

Fairbank Family said...

Oh my goodness Jamie, I can't believe all you go through. What a day. I know you will find the right place ... you just may have to find a babysitter on the next outing. Good luck!

Lisa said...

Next time you want to look at houses drop the kids off here.
Of course, you can only look at houses in our neighborhood :) ha ha. Just kidding. Bring them over anyhow!!